Regardless of the time of year, creamy tomato soup is always a comforting meal to fall back on for lunch or dinner. Homemade soups that are packed with nutrients are a sure way of keeping your fuel tank satisfied, while soothing the soul. This simple recipe is prepared using all whole food ingredients, and is vegan, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly.
Aside from the fact that this soup is flavor-packed and comforting, it’s also quite healthful. Rather than using dairy or flour to generate a thick and creamy soup, this recipe calls for soaked raw macadamia nuts. When blended, the soaked nuts result in a silky-smooth texture and rich, creamy taste. You’re left with a vegan soup that’s just as nutritious as it is delicious.
Preparing this soup is a breeze. Begin by soaking the macadamia nuts (you can also use raw cashews) for at least 20 minutes in water. While the nuts are soaking, sauté the vegetables. Once the nuts have finished soaking and the vegetables are sautéed, add everything to the Wolf Gourmet blender, and blend on the SOUP setting.
You won’t need to warm this soup on the stovetop. The pre-programmed SOUP setting will heat this creamy puree to a hot, steamy temperature just right for serving. This soup is also a tasty summer treat after chilling in the refrigerator and served cold. Either way, serve the soup with your favorite toasted bread or grilled cheese sandwich for a satisfying dining experience.
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts soaked for 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 small stalks celery chopped
- 2 small carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 24oz can whole peeled tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- hemp hearts
- fresh basil
- toasted macadamia nuts chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a small (8-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté, stirring frequently, until veggies have softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a blender, along with the remaining soup ingredients. Blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soup is completely creamy.
- Serve soup with a sprinkle of hemp hearts, chopped green onion, fresh basil, toasted chopped macadamia nuts, and your favorite toasted bread.
Julia Mueller is a cookbook author and the creator, recipe developer, and food photographer behind TheRoastedRoot.net. When she’s not cooking up a storm in the kitchen, she’s enjoying the great outdoors in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Julia is a mountain biking, hiking, healthy food, and local brew fanatic.
3 comments on “Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup – The Roasted Root”
Add a Comment
Nice no cook soup I am fascinated and will try to replicate your recipe. I’m sure my family will love this.
This is the best recipe! No cook and delicious! I couldn’t find raw macadamia nuts, so I used the cashews. Then I was delayed in cooking the soup for a couple days, so the nuts soaked in the refrigerator in water for 2 days before I was able to assemble everything. When it was done – totally worth the wait! I’m not vegan, but wanted a healthy soup without all the heavy creams needed to make a normal “bisque-like” soup. New favorite and guilt free!