Warm, wholesome food is especially appreciated in the midst of cold, dark winter months. The spicy aroma of Jambalaya will undoubtedly entice everyone to gather for a family meal.
Jambalaya is a true one-pot meal. Our hearty version features chicken, Andouille sausage, and shrimp accompanying the traditional Cajun trinity of onion, celery, and bell pepper. Even though the ingredient list is lengthy, preparation is quite simple.
This recipe makes eight to ten generous servings, ideal for a weekend supper with leftovers for the week.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- dash cayenne pepper
- 3 large ribs celery finely chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes liquid reserved
- 1/2 pound Andouille sausage cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 pounds medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups long-grain white rice rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and cayenne and cook stirring constantly until chicken is cooked through, 6-7 minutes. Add celery, onions, bell pepper, garlic and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables have softened, 5-6 minutes. Add chicken broth, reserved tomato juice and sausage. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushing each tomato with fingers while adding to the pot. Add shrimp, green onions, hot sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and rice. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, stir and replace lid. Cook on low without lifting lid for 20 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from the heat and allow to rest, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and adjust seasonings to taste.
Wolf Gourmet cookware blends high performance multi-clad stainless steel with elegant, ergonomically designed handles for an unequaled combination of form and function. All of our cookware is crafted in the USA and designed to last a lifetime. Durable 7-ply construction with an aluminum core offers superior performance and even heat distribution so you can sear scallops, simmer Bolognese sauce, and braise short ribs with confidence. Ergonomic handles fit comfortably in your hand and are easy to grip. This cookware will be your trusted companion for a lifetime of cooking pleasure.