- 6 large Golden Delicious apples rinsed and wiped dry
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup golden or dark raisins
- 2 green cardamom pods cracked
- 1 cup unsweetened apple cider
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 vanilla bean halved
- Using a sharp knife, slice four apples about 1 inch in from the top. Reserve the lids. Remove and discard the core from the center of the apple. Use a large spoon to scoop and hollow the apple, leaving about quarter inch thick walls. Reserve the pulp. Keep the apples aside.
- Dice the pulp. Take the remaining two apples, remove and discard the core and peel. Dice the apples and add it to the rest of the prepared pulp. In the 8.5" skillet, heat the coconut oil on medium-heat, sauté the apples, raisins and cardamom pods and cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from stove and keep this stuffing aside until ready to assemble.
- Place the apples without their lids in the 6 quart dutch oven. Stuff each of the four prepared apples with the stuffing. Cover the apples with their lids and pass a long wooden toothpick or bamboo skewer cut to the length of the apple. Place the apple cider, port wine and halved vanilla bean into the dutch oven. Place the dutch oven on the stove, cover with its lid and cook on medium-high heat for about 10 to 12 minutes until the apples are soft and tender. Uncover and carefully remove the apples from the dutch oven and place in a serving platter and keep warm. Continue to cook the leftover liquid in the dutch oven and reduce to about 1 cup in volume. Pour this liquid over the warm apples and serve immediately.